Diabetes, being a serious metabolic disorder, characterised by abnormal blood sugar levels due to improper utilisation of insulin, requires regular checks of sugar levels in the blood. Therefore, blood glucose metres come into play. They help in managing diabetes efficiently by monitoring alterations in the sugar levels. The market is brimming with a wide range of blood glucose metres; from the most basic to the most advanced.
There will be differences in the blood sugar condition among individuals and so they must not be taken in consideration with your friends and yourself, but only yourself.
While buying a blood sugar monitor, you need to primarily keep in mind its features that are-
• Repeatable accurate results- The glucose meter should read the solution at the required level that is specified for the solution. Other alternative way is to test the accuracy of your glucose meter readings with that the laboratory tests reports. Both the results should be within 15%.
• Coding- Certain blood glucose monitors have an option of entering code depending upon the type of test strips they use. Coding helps the glucose meter to deliver accurate test results. Though the advanced metres don’t have the option of coding because of the efficiency of the test strips.
• Storage options for supplies and data
• Blood Sample Size- For accurate results, test with required amount of blood sample only.
• Test location flexibility
• Cleaning and Maintenance- Knowledge about its cleanliness and maintenance is important for accurate readings
• Ease of use- Easily held, clear numbers
• Check for special features- easy handling buttons, test strips, illuminated screens, audio display(useful for people with impaired vision)
Though the blood glucose metres are a bit pricy, you must look for the special features run by manufacturers and retail stores. The best deals can be found online. While purchasing, make sure you look at the options and select on the basis of :
1. Test strip expense : Check out for the best meters and test strips depending on your usage. Make sure to know the cost of each test strip and look up good dealers. Figure out the lifetime cost for the product.
2. Test flexibility : This is one of the most important factors to be considered. It would be very painful if you prick the same place of your finger all the time during testing the diabetes sugar levels. Recent advanced glucose meters are provided with alternative site testing, which means that you can take blood samples from other areas like forearm or thigh, apart from your finger tip.
It is very important that you look at your options and make a choice based on what best fits your needs. Some of the popular metres are:
Acu-Check Active Glucometer/ One Touch Select Simple Blood Glucose Monitoring System/Dr. Morpen Gluco One BG-02 Glucometer etc.
Diabetes, being a serious metabolic disorder, characterised by abnormal blood sugar levels due to improper utilisation of insulin, requires regular checks of sugar levels in the blood. Therefore, blood glucose metres come into play. They help in managing diabetes efficiently by monitoring alterations in the sugar levels. The market is brimming with a wide range of blood glucose metres; from the...